A View of the Late Protestant Dutch Church in the City of Albany

Philip Hooker Artist
c. 1806 Date:
Henry Snyder Engraver
Etching with engraving on laid paper Medium
10 5/16 H x 10 7/8 W (sheet) Dimensions

Inscribed in ink upper right: Presented by / George W. Carpenter. / 1840.; two Albany Institute stamps, one inscribed in ink: 241

Inscription
George W. Carpenter to AIHA in 1840. Carpenter is listed as a "resident member" of the Albany Institute in 1870. He became a member in 1829. Provenance
Gift of George W. Carpenter Credit
1840.1.1 Accession number
The 1656 Dutch Reformed Church in Albany eventually became too small for its growing congregation, which led to the construction of a new church building in 1715. That structure, depicted in this print, remained standing for nearly one hundred years. The weathercock from the old structure was removed and placed atop the new building. Stylistically, the 1715 church building resembled architecture common to the Dutch province of Zeeland. The building was razed in 1806.
Additional comments

Go back