Ewer

From the shop of Isaac Hutton (1766-1855) and George Hutton (b. 1774), Albany, NY Maker
c. 1800 Date:
Silver Materials
14 3/4 H Dimensions
Marked on body under spout: Wakeman coat of arms; On lower neck under spout: Anna Bleecker / Feb 22 1856; On side of base, with spout left, in rectangle: Hutton; Mark on side of base, with spout right, in rectangle: Albany; Engraved in script on side of base, under spout: B. Bleecker; On side under handle: G.V.S. Bleecker Marks
Albany Institute of History & Art Exchange Credit
x1940.482.666 Accession number
As Albany grew in the post-Revolutionary War era, it became home to a large number of craftsmen and merchants. Among them were the silversmiths, jewelers, and engravers Isaac and George Hutton. Their shop produced this covered ewer, designed in the earliest phase of the revival of classical taste in the United States. The narrow flutes at the base of the body and the crown of the cover; the fine beading at the lip, neck, foot, and base; and the use of a floral swag to support the crest and coat of arms are all characteristic of Federal silver. Additional comments

Go back