Washington's Headquarters

Unidentified Artist Artist
1886-1901 Date:
Oil on canvas Medium
21 1/2 H x 26 1/2 W Dimensions
Gift of Dorothy Treat Arnold Cogswell, Jr. Credit
1949.1.8 Accession number
While diplomats negotiated a peace treaty in Paris between the Americans and the British during 1782 and 1783, General Washington maintained headquarters on the Hudson River at Newburgh, in the Hasbrouck house. In 1850, the house, by then known as Washington's headquarters, became the first historic-house museum open to the public. Washington's short residence in the building guaranteed its later success as a tourist attraction, as suggested by this painting by an unidentified amateur artist. Additional comments

Go back