Port of Albany

President Calvin Coolidge transformed Albany’s shipping potential when he signed legislation in 1924 to dredge the Hudson River for ocean-going ships. The following year, 1925, the New York State Legislature established the Albany Port District Commission.

Construction of Albany’s port, located just south of town on what was originally Van Rensselaer’s Island, began in 1926. On June 7, 1932, Governor Franklin Delano Roosevelt dedicated the completed $18 million project, which included warehouses, grain storage, rail connections, wharves, and a deepwater shipping channel. The anchor shown here was displayed during the dedication ceremonies.

Today the Port of Albany is one of the largest inland ports in the nation. General Electric generators and turbines ship from the port, as do shipments of grain, molasses, scrap iron, and woodpulp. In addition, the Port provides safe and secure terminals for Ringling Brothers Circus animals, maintains Albany’s Riverfront Park at Corning Preserve, and sponsers numerous community and educational activites.

 

Magnifying Glass
Anchor
c. 1930
Iron and paint
Courtesy of Port of Albany
Magnifying Glass
Swedish Ship Unloading Woodpulp at Port of Albany
Unidentified photographer
1932
Gelatin silver photographic print