Jacob Hamburger and his wife Matilda (x1940.643.2), first cousins, were born in Germany and emigrated to New York in 1848. According to family records these portraits were painted in 1849, prior to the couple's wedding in Albany at the Bethel Jacob Synagogue in 1850.
Mr. Hamburger is listed in the Albany City directories as a tailor and later as a clothing merchant at 62 South Pearl Street. After 1868, the Hamburgers were listed as residing at 134 Green Street. Their daughter, Gertrude, donated the paintings to the Albany Institute. She also changed the spelling of her name from Hamburger to Hamberger.