Oil on canvas
21 1/2 H x 26 1/2 W
Gift of Dorothy Treat Arnold Cogswell, Jr.
While diplomats negotiated a peace treaty in Paris between the Americans and the British during 1782 and 1783, General Washington maintained headquarters on the Hudson River at Newburgh, in the Hasbrouck house. In 1850, the house, by then known as Washington's headquarters, became the first historic-house museum open to the public. Washington's short residence in the building guaranteed its later success as a tourist attraction, as suggested by this painting by an unidentified amateur artist.