View of the New Reservoir of the Albany Water Works Company and the Albany Burgesses Corps

c. 1850 Date:
Thayer & Co. Lithographers Printer
Hand-colored and color printed lithograph Medium
13 H x 15 1/8 W (sheet) Dimensions
Ink stamp on right margin: Harriette M. Steele
Marks
Boston Publication location
Printed below image: View of the New Reservoir of the Albany Water Works Compy and the Albany Burgesses Corps,/Taken from the Academy Park, Albany, N.Y.; printed lower right under title: Thayer & Cos Lith. Boston.
Inscription
Bequest of Ledyard Cogswell, Jr. Credit
1954.59.109 Accession number
The Albany Water Works sat on Eagle Street between Steuben Street and Columbia Street. Built around 1850, the gates and corner pylons reflect ancient Egyptian architecture, while the water works building more closely resembles Moorish design.
 
Benjamin W. Thayer operated an engraving and lithographic business in Boston from 1840 to 1851. The 1851 Boston city directory lists Thayer & Co. at 204 Washington Avenue.
Additional comments

Go back