Our popular summer classes will be offered online!
Virtual Summer Art Programs for Ages 6-12
Looking to be creative this summer? We’ve adapted our popular program Artful Mornings and will offer it online! Sign up for some fun, hands-on activities led by our art instructors and learn new things, experiment with new ideas, connect with new people, and make beautiful works of art. Summer class techniques will include drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture, and more. Class registration includes instruction and a special art kit for each session. In addition to hands-on art programming, participants will get virtual introductions to objects in the museum’s collections and exhibitions.
Tuesdays—Thursdays from 9AM–Noon
Sessions start July 7, 2020
Cost per three-day session: Tuition includes materials and instruction. For more information, email email@example.com.
- $70 non-members
- $55 members (Become a member and save! Visit our membership page by clicking here: Membership)
Artful Mornings Virtual Summer Program sessions will take place Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings from 9AM—Noon and will use Zoom video conferencing. Breaks will be scheduled between projects.
Registration for each session will be closed the Friday of the week before so that art kits can be coordinated for pick up.
9—9:30AM | Participants login. We’ll start each day with a virtual tour of museum artworks. On Wednesday and Thursday we will also share our own artwork with each other.
9:30AM—10:30AM | Art Activity #1
10:30AM—11AM |Break time: Have a snack, chat with other participants, watch related art video clips together and/or logoff temporarily (if desired).
11AM—12PM | Art Activity #2
Art Challenge-Session canceled
July 7, 8, 9
Stretch your creative muscles and discover imaginative ways to respond to art challenges! We’ll explore individual and team challenges (while collaborating remotely) and respond to prompts in a variety of media (including sculpture and paint). Challenges will introduce new art techniques and artistic styles and will encourage participants to utilize their newfound knowledge in their own art.
Please note: July 7-9 is now cancelled; please join us for the other 7 sessions!
July 14, 15, 16
Discover the beauty of Ancient Egyptian art and culture! This class will explore the museum’s Ancient Egypt galleries and participants will have a blast creating art inspired by things they learn. We’ll discover exciting myths and create Ancient Egyptian-styled artwork based on artifacts such as paddle dolls and mummy models.
July 21, 22, 23
This week we will explore shape! We’ll discover both geometric and organic shapes in the museum’s artwork as well as our own artwork. We will also use fun techniques to create 2D and 3D works like compass and string paintings.
Reinventing the Museum
July 28, 29, 30
Let your imagination run wild as we examine historic artwork and make it modern. For instance, how can portraits from hundreds of years ago be reimagined to look current? We’ll make-over portraits with different clothes and updated styles and then compare them to the originals. We’ll also look at other museum objects and use our artistic vision to re-design them to be used today.
August 4, 5, 6
Are you ready to take action? This week, we’ll get playful as we paint and explore lively ways to apply paint with and without brushes. We’ll use balloons, balls, drips, and even small explosions to create beautiful painted paper designs.
Copy That!-Session canceled
August 11, 12, 13
Discover the world of printmaking! Explore a variety of printmaking techniques as we create our own relief printing plates, print with found objects, and create monotypes to put our own stamp on things.
Please note: This session has been canceled please join us for session 7 Wearable Art and session 8 Drawn to Art!
August 18, 19, 20
Get ready to become a walking art show when you display your wearable art! Take inspiration from details of items in the museum’s collection and make your own patterns and designs for shirts, bags and more.
Drawn to Art
August 25, 26, 27
Make your mark as you try out a variety of drawing mediums, such as drawing pencils and charcoal. Discover new techniques and explore concepts like texture and value scale in artwork.
- Zoom meeting IDs and sign-in information will be sent to registrants the Monday of each scheduled session week. Please let us know if we should use a different email address than the address you used for registration.
- Meeting invitations are for registered participants only. Pleasedo not share invitation information.
- Meeting passwords and waiting rooms will be used for each session.
- To protect the privacy and safety of all participants, please do not video record, photograph, live stream, or transmit any part of the Zoom virtual session without permission.
ART KITS & OTHER MATERIALS
- Included with registration, each session will have an art kit with specific supplies for each activity.
- Art kits for the coordinating Artful Mornings sessions will be available to pick up at the museum's front desk the week before the program during museum hours. Please let us know via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) when you'd like to pick up the materials, and we'll make sure the kits are ready at the admissions desk for you.
- We recommend having the following basic at home art materials available in addition to the art kit materials: washable markers, crayons or colored pencils, scissors, pencils, blank paper, and a permanent marker.
- If registrations have not been received 2 weeks beforehand a session will be cancelled.
- Registration for each session will be closed the Friday of the week before so that art kits can be coordinated for pick up.