This volunteer opportunity includes collections development and research; collections management, including recording keeping; and collections care, including re-housing. Other opportunities include working on the research and development of, and installation and de-installation of, exhibitions. This is an excellent experience for someone interested in pursuing a career in the museum field with an emphasis on curatorial work.
Duties also include:
- Primary research on museum objects being considered for acquisition, loan, or exhibition
- Answering phone and e-mail inquiries from the general public related to museum collections
- Inventorying objects from the permanent collection currently in storage or on long- or short-term loan
- Processing temporary receipts, including appropriate paperwork, tagging, description, research, and storage
- Data entry of catalog information
- Loan processing, including updating/renewing incoming and outgoing loans, creating files and paperwork for new incoming and outgoing loans, arranging insurance and shipping, and completing condition reports
- Maintaining and updating filing system for existing and new accession files
- Participating in all aspects of installation, de-installation, rotation, and refreshing of permanent and temporary exhibitions, including traveling exhibitions
Please contact Chief Curator Doug McCombs by email email@example.com to inquire about this opportunity.