The Library is open by appointment only.
Library hours, appointments, fees, and policies
Albany Institute members: free
Nonmembers: $10; seniors and students with ID $8*
*Access to library not included with general museum passes
Rules for Library Use
- Researchers must present a photo ID to use collections. Acceptable IDs include driver’s license, passport, and school or employment identification.
- All coats, umbrellas, briefcases, book bags, backpacks, pens, etc. must be checked behind the Museum admissions desk. Only pencils, laptop computers, notebooks, and purses may be brought into the Library.
- Library and archival material may not be removed from the premises. Personal materials are subject to search upon leaving. Anyone who removes materials from the Library without authorization will lose all privileges and may be assessed a fine and any replacement costs of the material.
- Food and drinks may not be brought into or consumed in the Library. Such items may be consumed in the lobby or the café on level 2.
- Hands must be clean.
- Researchers must use pencil for taking notes.
- Researchers may be asked to wear gloves when handling certain types of materials (i.e. photographs, fragile, etc.)
- Researchers must not mark pages, use Post-It notes or write on library and archival materials.
- All library users must sign in and fill out a researcher form.
- Researchers may use one box of records, one folder of material, or one volume at a time and must keep collections in the order in which they were received.
- Materials may not be leaned on, written on top of, or have heavy or sharp objects placed on top of them.
- Access to certain collections may be restricted by law, or by the wishes of donors. The library also reserves the right to restrict the use of materials that are not catalogued, are of exceptional value, or are fragile.
- Permission to publish any material must be requested in writing prior to publication.
- Photocopies will be made at the discretion of the library staff. The library reserves the right to withhold permission for the reproduction of any material, especially when copying may cause physical damage.
High-quality digital images and prints: Please refer to the rights and reproductions fee schedule, or contact the museum shop at 518-463-4478, ext. 455.